Dr. Paul Wu, Scholarship Committee Chair of the Halton Region Chinese Canadian Association (HRCCA), announced this year’s HRCCA scholarship awards.
Winner of the $2,000 scholarship went to Linsey Zhang from Oakville Trafalgar High School in Oakville.
We would like to extend our sincere congratulations to Lindsey !!
“Since I was young, I have always been a creative and curious individual. Growing up in Canada, there have been endless possibilities for exploration. From debating in junior finals to playing in the softball provincial championships to running the highest fundraising high school Relay for Life event in Canada, I have been so lucky to explore my passions. In particular, my passion for writing has been undeniable. Currently, I am working on a novel that encourages more Chinese representation in media and I hope to one day become a published author. My enthusiasm for this cause and the actions I have taken to allow Chinese-Canadians to feel more represented makes me a great candidate for this scholarship.
As a student at Oakville Trafalgar High School, I was nominated for the Western University President’s Scholarship by my guidance counsellors and I maintained positions as the Relay for Life Registration Chair, the Soldier ON Club President, a Debate Club Judge, and a LINK Crew Leader. In terms of academics, I have a 96.7 grade 12 midterm average and achieved the highest mark in many subjects, including Grade 11 Functions and Relations. I obtained a 5 in AP Biology and I am awaiting results for my DELF B2 exam.”
About the HRCCA Scholarship
The Scholarship program was established to recognize students who have demonstrated leadership and/or involvement in the promotion and integration of Chinese culture in the community, have achieved good standings in Halton secondary schools and to assist candidates who are in financial need.
Donations toward the HRCCA Scholarship can be made through Canada Helps via the Oakville Community Foundation. Click on the Canada Helps logo below and select HRCCA Scholarship Endowment Fund under the “Apply your donation to a specific fund” tab, thank you.
Previous Award Recipients
- 2018 Award— Yihang Qin from Abbey Park High School ; Sarah Rana (White Oaks Secondary School) received a special award.
2017 Award — Jenny Hu from White Oaks Secondary School and Anna He from Robert Bateman High School
- 2016 Award* – Alvin Leung from Iroquois Ridge High School
- 2015 Award — Leah Wei from Nelson High School and Catherine Zeng from Robert Bateman High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award — Linda Fei of Abbey Park High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award in Memory of Chiu Tam Mo-Wan — Kelly Kong of White Oaks Secondary School [Press Release]
- 2013 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Emily Zixin Wang, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2012 — Ida Yun Zhen Ji, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2011 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Jing Guo, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2010 — Andrew Wong [Press Release]
- 2009 — Jessica Wang, Nelson High School
- 2008 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Bonita Tsai, Burlington Central High School
- 2007 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Sarah Xu, Robert Bateman High School
* Alvin decided to pursue university in Hong Kong, which had disqualified him from receiving the scholarship; but HRCCA had nevertheless issued a special award for him as a reward for his achievements. From 2017 onward, HRCCA did expand eligibility for winner as long as he/she attends an accredited post-secondary educational institution.