HRCCA Scholarship Application & Recommendation Deadline: May 31, 2022
Dr. Paul Wu, chair of HRCCA scholarship committee is pleased to announce our winner for the 2021 HRCCA Scholarship is Matthew Huang!
We had more than 10 applicants this year. After a rigorous selection and interview process, we are happy that we have a well-deserved winner. Matt will be attending McMaster University and we wish him a life time of success!
Matthew Huang graduated from White Oaks Secondary School. He’s passionate about reading, sports, and most importantly, making a positive impact on others.
So, he’s been volunteering since his first year of high school and has been able to make a positive impact locally and in other parts of the world.
Matthew’s research internship at Chungshan Medical University Hospital was a turning point in his future aspirations besides being a catalyst that allow him to determine what he wants to be in the future. His vague interest in medical field actually helps him find his passion to impact larger groups of people. He is interested in making widespread changes in the public health sector since he realized that it is not enough to cure patients one-by-one. All in all, the internship and experience played a huge role in shaping him, arousing his passion to promote Chinese culture, becoming one of the HRCCA Youth Leaders; more importantly, finding his direction in life.
About the HRCCA Scholarship
The Scholarship program was established to recognize students who have demonstrated leadership and/or involvement in the promotion and integration of Chinese culture in the community, have achieved good standings in Halton secondary schools and to assist candidates who are in financial need.
Donations toward the HRCCA Scholarship can be made through Canada Helps via the Oakville Community Foundation. Click on the Canada Helps logo below and select HRCCA Scholarship Endowment Fund under the “Apply your donation to a specific fund” tab, thank you.
Previous Award Recipients
- 2020 Award – Katana Dillabough from Abbey Park High School
- 2019 Award —Lindsey Zhang from Oakville Trafalgar High School
- 2018 Award— Yihang Qin from Abbey Park High School ; Sarah Rana (White Oaks Secondary School) received a special award.
2017 Award — Jenny Hu from White Oaks Secondary School and Anna He from Robert Bateman High School
- 2016 Award* – Alvin Leung from Iroquois Ridge High School
- 2015 Award — Leah Wei from Nelson High School and Catherine Zeng from Robert Bateman High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award — Linda Fei of Abbey Park High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award in Memory of Chiu Tam Mo-Wan — Kelly Kong of White Oaks Secondary School [Press Release]
- 2013 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Emily Zixin Wang, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2012 — Ida Yun Zhen Ji, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2011 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Jing Guo, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2010 — Andrew Wong [Press Release]
- 2009 — Jessica Wang, Nelson High School
- 2008 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Bonita Tsai, Burlington Central High School
- 2007 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Sarah Xu, Robert Bateman High School
* Alvin decided to pursue university in Hong Kong, which had disqualified him from receiving the scholarship; but HRCCA had nevertheless issued a special award for him as a reward for his achievements. From 2017 onward, HRCCA did expand eligibility for winner as long as he/she attends an accredited post-secondary educational institution.