Louis Tsai (蔡聿沂), president of the Halton Region Chinese Canadian Association (HRCCA), announced the award of HRCCA scholarships to two students:
Winner of the $2,000 scholarship went to Jenny Hu (胡心烨) from White Oaks Secondary School in Oakville. The runner-up award of the $1,000 scholarship went to Anna He (何安娜) from Robert Bateman Secondary School in Burlington. Jenny begins her post secondary journey at McMaster University this fall, while Anna begins hers at the University of Michigan.
Jenny Hu (胡心烨）
As an active member of her school community, Jenny as volunteered as a teaching assistant for the HCDSB International Language Program, debate coach for her school’s Junior debate team, and have administrated platforms for community story-telling such as Humans of WOSS. As an executive member of her school’s debate team, Jenny has represented them as Ontario’s 4th place bilingual team in 2016 and Harvard’s Octofinasists in 2017. This fall, Jenny will be attending McMaster university to pursue a Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours.
Anna He (何安娜)
Since moving to Burlington at the age of four, Anna made herself at home in the city. Despite her very Canadian upbringing, she finds a balance between Canadian and Chinese cultures by attending the local Chinese school and celebrating traditional Chinese festivals at home. Anna is highly academically accomplished while pursuing an IB diploma at Robert Bateman High School. She is also highly active at her high school in student organizations including her school’s student council, DECA and leading a carnival in celebration of Canada 150. Anna will attend the University of Michigan beginning in September 2017 to pursue a Bachelors in Business Administration.
About the HRCCA Scholarship
The Scholarship program was established to recognize students who have demonstrated leadership and/or involvement in the promotion and integration of Chinese culture in the community, have achieved good standings in Halton secondary schools and to assist candidates who are in financial need.
Donations toward the HRCCA Scholarship can be made through Canada Helps via the Oakville Community Foundation. Click on the Canada Helps logo below and select HRCCA Scholarship Endowment Fund under the “Apply your donation to a specific fund” tab, thank you.
Previous Award Recipients
For the 2016 scholarship we have a worthy winner – Mr. Alvin Leung – who is a honored graduate of Iroquois Ridge High School in Oakville with an average of over 90%. He has also done social and community work both in the third world and the Chinese community. As events had turned out he had decided to pursue university in Hong Kong, which had disqualified him from receiving the scholarship; but the HRCCA had nevertheless issued a special award for him as a reward for his achievements.
- 2015 Award — Leah Wei from Nelson High School and Catherine Zeng from Robert Bateman High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award — Linda Fei of Abbey Park High School [Press Release]
- 2014 Award in Memory of Chiu Tam Mo-Wan — Kelly Kong of White Oaks Secondary School [Press Release]
- 2013 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Emily Zixin Wang, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2012 — Ida Yun Zhen Ji, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2011 Award in Memory of Lily Chan — Jing Guo, Aldershot High School [Press Release]
- 2010 — Andrew Wong [Press Release]
- 2009 — Jessica Wang, Nelson High School
- 2008 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Bonita Tsai, Burlington Central High School
- 2007 Award In Memory of Chan Po Sheung — Sarah Xu, Robert Bateman High School